Increase your quality of life! Treat fibromyalgia pain with PT.
When medication and traditional care fail to ease fibromyalgia symptoms, many sufferers feel frustrated and helpless. At Sea Girt Spine and Rehabilitation, we know that there are other options for treatment that go beyond the traditional route of drug therapy. For fibromyalgia patients in Brick, Manasquan, Point Pleasant, and Wall, our Jersey Shore rehabilitation center offers an integrated, multi-disciplinary system of rehabilitation unlike any other.
Our team of physical therapists—which includes Doctors of Chiropractic, Physical Therapists, Acupuncturists, and Massage Therapists—works together to create comprehensive, holistic programs of rehabilitation for fibromyalgia patients. The term ‘holistic’ means ‘whole body.’ Rather than medicating specific symptoms, holistic care treats the entire patient in order to address the causes of disease and suffering.
The purpose of physical therapy in any rehabilitation process is to relieve pain and restore normal movement and functioning. Physical therapists are experts in kinesiology—the science of movement—and are particularly concerned with helping patients find ways to move without pain. Fibromyalgia patients who take advantage of the benefits of physical therapy (alongside chiropractic care, deep tissue massage, and acupuncture) can increase quality of life while reducing physical suffering and building strength.
The following physical therapy practices may benefit fibromyalgia patients:
- Therapeutic Exercise: This is an important component to plans of physical therapy for fibromyalgia patients. In particular, physical therapy promotes the return to normal physical functioning. It is also helpful in easing pain and inflammation while promoting better sleep. For many fibromyalgia sufferers, better sleep may reduce depression (depression is common among those with this condition).
- It’s important to note that fibromyalgia patients should only attempt exercise programs under the supervision of a licensed physical therapist. The licensed physical therapists at Sea Girt Spine and Rehabilitation can help patients learn the safest ways to exercise, both for in-office and at-home use.
- Deep Tissue Massage: For trigger point reduction, our office provides deep tissue massage. Not only does deep tissue massage work to relieve trigger points, it is also an excellent counterpart to chiropractic adjustment and therapeutic exercise. In fact, deep tissue massage prepares the body to receive the full benefit of other treatments.
- Ultrasound: For myofascial pain, Sea Girt Spine also provides Ultrasound therapy, which uses sound waves to reach deep into muscle tissues in order to relieve pain, muscle spasms, stiffness, and cramping. It also boosts circulation for faster healing.
- Ice and Heat Therapies: Some patients may benefit from hot and cold therapies. While heat increases circulation to painful areas, cold therapy reduces inflammation and pain. Increased circulation improves the flow of oxygen and nutrients to painful sites while assisting with the removal of waste byproducts that may slow the healing process. Ice and heat therapies may be used alternately.
- Electrotherapy: This passive physical therapy technique (Electrical Muscle Stimulation) helps with improving mobility and repairing the tissues.
Jersey Shore Fibromyalgia Patients
For those suffering from Fibromyalgia in Brick, Manasquan, Point Pleasant, and other Jersey Shore towns, Sea Girt Spine and Rehabilitation provides programs of physical therapy as well as chiropractic, deep tissue massage, and acupuncture.
Please contact our rehabilitation facility at Sea Girt, NJ Center to learn more about how we can help with your fibromyalgia using the best in holistic care.